Thursday, July 19, 2007

Green Tea and Health



All the good health news about tea, and green tea in particular, has made me a believer, so I've been trying to drink a cup or two of green tea every day in addition to whatever other teas I'm drinking. Dr. Ron Sebold presented tons of compelling information about tea and health in his remarks at the World Tea Expo, and I particularly tuned in when he noted that "in rats, tea seems to help them learn," a fact he shared with his college-age daughter just before exam time!

In an Iowa Women's Health Study he quoted, a study of some 31,000 women, it was found that drinking three or more cups of tea a day reduced the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis by 61 percent. Since I quilt and do all kinds of needlework and crafts with my hands, avoiding rheumatoid arthritis would certainly be a good thing.

Tea's effects on preventing stroke and lowering blood pressure are also documented, and Sebold noted that while some studies are too small to be conclusive, he personally would tell a family member with HIV to drink more green tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!