Monday, September 10, 2007

Chelsea's Tea Room in Asheville, N.C.


Have just returned from spending a few days in Asheville, N.C., which included an unexpected treat at a tea room and some very fun tea shopping, so of course I have to share!

I know Asheville is the home of Biltmore Estate, which is certainly a must-see if you've never been, but both my husband and I had toured it before. Instead, this trip was to visit the downtown Asheville galleries, local shops and some of the smaller outlying towns. One of the tourism brochures touted Biltmore Village, which is a quaint shopping area where DH had kindly agreed to wander around while I visited the three shops I particularly wanted to see. My first stop was Recollections, located in a pretty old house and filled with tea goodies and several cases overflowing with that lovely Dee Sharp tea-themed jewelry. (I'd bought a ring design of hers at World Tea Expo.) Turns out this used to be Dee's shop, the shopkeeper told me. I got some Harney Chocolate Mint Tea and a new infuser basket and merely lusted over the gorgeous floral paintings by Christie Repasy, whose work has been featured in Romantic Homes and other magazines.

Next was a yarn shop, but it was my third of the day and I had already met my yarn needs. Finally, I was at Chelsea's Tea Room. It was too early in the day for afternoon tea, so I was happy to simply look around and shop for a while. Imagine my surprise when my thirsty husband waved me in to join him on the patio, where he was looking over a menu and indulging in what he said was some very good plum-flavored iced tea. Well, you don't have to twist my arm to get me to enjoy a new tea room! We agreed to split a dessert, and we got the White Chocolate Lemon Curd Layer Cake. When it arrived, there were audible gasps from the other guests out on the patio. This three layer mega-slice was just delicious, and I'm so glad we had decided to split it. In fact, when I realized the recipe was in the tea room's cookbook, I left with a copy and hope to bake this treat myself sometime!

REMINDER: If you haven't yet left a comment on the Sept. 4 post, please do so before noon tomorrow so you'll be entered in the tea giveaway!

5 comments:

  1. Ooooooh, that trip sounds like so much fun, just the kind of trip I love...shopping for tea accoutrements and visiting tea rooms. Lucky you:)
    Miss Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi y'all,I think some of the old issues of the Cottage Living mag featured darling homes in Asheville. Sounds like a wonderful time. Heddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your lovely site. It is so sweet. Next time you are in Asheville, please stop in and visit me at Kathleen's Tea Room. We are in a 100 year old house in Fletcher, NC, just 10 miles south of the Biltmore Estate. Hope to see you soon. Tami

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tami,

    Thanks for visiting! We actually drove through Fletcher on our way to Grandfather Mountain, and I saw the sign for your tearoom but didn't see the tearoom itself (from the highway, anyway). Are y'all behind or near the shopping center I saw there? I am definitely hoping for a return trip to your lovely area!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela,

    Kathleen's Tea Room is located behind Foam and Fabric just off of St. John's Rd.

    It is super yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!