Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Upton Tea Quarterly


The Fall 2007 issue of the Upton Tea Quarterly has arrived, and as always it is a joy to read. The Quarterly is really unique among tea publications. It's not just a magazine, it's not just a catalog, and I'm not comfortable calling it a "magalog" either (that new breed of part-magazine, part-catalog). So maybe I should just describe it.

First of all, the size and paper are not the full-color, glossy type to which we are most accustomed. This white paper stock is thicker than newsprint, much thicker and much whiter, yet I've seen some newspaper inserts printed on this type of paper before. The size is smaller than a traditional magazine (7 x 10 inches), and the printing has rather a sepia tone to it. The current issue features Part V of the article "Reversals of Fortune in the Tea Industry," and I learned some new things about the role of the Dutch in the tea trade.

Yet most of the Quarterly is given to listing its teas for sale, and there are hundreds of tempting varieties to consider. (When your order arrives, you'll find the bag or tin has been personally labeled with your name. Lovely!) It also offers a nice range of Chatsford teapots and mugs, infusers and various tea accoutrements. Another thing I adore about the Quarterly is that its authors give you the scoop on their most recent tea buying efforts. This year, they say, "we experienced more competition than usual for the top Assam teas." Subscriptions are free to customers, $12 a year for others. You can sign up at uptontea.com.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...I wonder...I happen to like and frequently drink Assam Golden Rain. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Assam is frequently used in many of the blends that we commonly see. If there was more competition than usual, does this mean the price went up to the buyers? Will this mean an overall increase in price on those teas to us? Back when the tsunami hit, I wondered if we would not be seeing an ultimate overall increase in Ceylon type teas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!