Monday, February 11, 2008

Greeting Card Teacup & Saucer

PLEASE NOTE: Because of repeated requests, I will soon be making this pattern available for sale as a PDF, so please check back for updates and I'll be glad to let you know when it's available. Thanks!




Years ago, I began to see in antique stores some baskets and vases that had been made out of old greeting cards fashioned together with simple crochet stitches. I never bought one, though, because I knew I could make one myself, and I even had the wild idea that I could make one in the shape of a teacup and saucer. So over the weekend, I did. Actually stitching the thing probably took less than two hours. Creating my own patterns probably took about six hours! Still, I'm fairly pleased with my first little effort, and now I have patterns I can adjust for future projects. Wouldn't just the cup part be cute with an Easter-basket-style handle, perhaps as a May Day basket for friends? And in case the crocheting tea lovers out there want to make some for yourselves, here are a few photos of what I did.

First, I gathered some old greeting cards, which wasn't hard to do because family and friends know how much I love roses and often send cards with this flower on them.

Once I got a notebook paper pattern piece to my satisfaction, I traced it four more times, taped the five pieces together 'til I had the size and shape cup I wanted, then traced the pattern piece to thick cardstock. This I cut out and used as the primary pattern for cutting out the greeting card pieces. I punched holes in them using a 1/8 inch holepunch, then single-crocheted around the pieces.


Once all the pieces were crocheted up, I joined them with a needle and the same cotton thread I used for the crocheting. Now I realize none of this makes much sense if you aren't a crocheter, but I would point out that something very similar could probably be accomplished with embroidery, using a simple blanket stitch to join the paper pieces. I did resort to hot glue for attaching a paper handle, but it now occurs to me I might have stitched this on instead. And the saucer (for which patterns were made in the same trial-and-error way) can even be inverted to create a pedestal type teacup if you like. When you turn it over and see handwriting of family and friends, you'll have happy memories to accompany your new papercraft teacup!



12 comments:

  1. Angela, this is just too cute! I can easily see this as a party favor; either filled with jordan almonds or with a bagged tea bag, honey stick or demitasse rock sugar swizzler. You are so creative!Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me! I love the creativity. Wish I knew how to do the stitch you are talking about :( The possibilites are endless. My mind is spinning. Way too cute! Great job as usual, Angela :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very creative!! I would love to have one for myself. Can you send me a copy of pattern so I can make one for myself.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's creative. I can see seasonal tea cups--Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving/Autumn, Birthday tea cups....what a wonderful way to use and keep sentimental cards. What if you single crochets the edges of the handle? These could be made bigger and used to hold tea bags.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's creative. I can see seasonal tea cups...Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving/Autumn, Birthday tea cups....what a wonderful way to use and keep sentimental cards. What if you single crochets the edges of the handle? These could be made bigger and used to hold tea bags.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very witty and creative. I'm sad now that I don't crochet!
    Oh well.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. So charming ~ too cute for words. Combining two of my favorite things: tea cups and greeting cards. I don't have an ounce of creativity like that ~ sigh, but I can enjoy vicariously thru you. Keep up the fabulous stuff. LOVE it! Blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable! I just love it and what a wonderful way to recycle some favorite, even vintage cards! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness! This is just about the most creative thing I've ever seen! I can't believe you created your own pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remembered as a little girl, my grandmother used to make bowls out of holiday cards and I always thought they were an unual way to make use your cards,Thank You sooo Much for for the directions. You have brought me such a beatiful memory and a wonderful craft idea to share with my family and friends! Rosemary :>)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angela...I might add that if you made them 2 sided (back and front) that you would have a design on the inside too..... Just a thought. Milliejs

    ReplyDelete
  12. would you please share your pattern I just love this but not crafty enough to make my own pattern. tfs
    donna in nc

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!