Wednesday, February 20, 2008

An idea from the Celestial Seasonings Cookbook


Recently, I was looking for tea books online at my usual sources (eBay, half.com) and came across this "Celestial Seasonings Cookbook - Cooking With Tea." The book tells a bit of the company's history, and the recipes are some of the most unique ones I've seen yet for foods cooked with tea: Mandarin Orange Spice Meatballs, Cranberry Cove Beef Roast, Apricot Ginger Salmon, Harvest Spice Tea Cake, and dozens more recipes with yummy sounding titles.

But one sentence in the book really captured my imagination. The author was talking about preparing carrots for her kids one night and deciding to toss in a couple of Mandarin Orange Spice teabags, greatly enhancing the flavor of the carrots. She began to do this with other foods as well, and "Celestial Seasonings teas became the spice rack I didn't know I had."

Now THAT appeals to me! I don't necessarily mean CS teas in particular, because to be honest I don't have that many of their teas, but I do like the idea of treating my teas as a "spice rack." Sometimes, one fresh new idea can make the price of a book worthwhile. This was one of those times.

2 comments:

  1. I have alot of CS tea that I've been given in gift baskets etc. and didn't think I'd ever be able to use it all. I like the idea of adding a bag to cooking veggies - how about adding a lemon lift tea bag to a pot of fresh string beans or broccoli? The orange tea in carrots sounds great too...thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!