Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A&P Fine Teas


A friend sent me a card the other day, and inside was tucked a most wonderful treat: an ad for A&P Teas from a 1958 issue of Woman's Day magazine! Although I remember going to the local A&P store as a child, I haven't seen one of these in years but have read there are still some up north. It was only as a result of my tea studies that I learned A&P began as the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company.

Mrs. A. von Dedenroth of Walled Lake, Mich. is the lady providing this testimonial type ad, promoting the fact that she saved 34 cents on A&P's teas over another well-known brand. So even 50 years ago, they liked to advertise products that save you money.

I also think it's interesting that the front of the packages of tea in this ad are very specific about what's in these blends of "OUR OWN tea bags" and "NECTAR tea bags." They contain "pekoe and orange peckoe and cut black tea." And of course the ad ends reminding everyone that "A&P teas prove fine tea needn't be expensive." I'm thankful that fine tea is still a good value today!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this little bit of nostalgia. For many years I shopped at grocery stores up north. I have shopped at A & P, Dominion, Loblaws, etc. I didn't know that A & P was originally the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company. It will be fun to do some research on A & P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is silly but as a child we called it the "A & POO Feed Store ".
    I haven't seen one in ages

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have family members who worked for A&P. Like you, I was surprised when I learned a few years ago it was originally the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company. I enjoy old trivia like the ad you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn at www.heartsdelights.blogspot.com has tagged you. Please visit my sight to see what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!