Tuesday, July 1, 2008

How do you spell T-E-A?


Do you like dictionaries? I do. I guess because spelling is such a big part of my life, I have always enjoyed looking up words in the dictionary. Today, I am more likely to turn to dictionary.com, but I still love the dictionary, which is probably to be expected from someone whose maiden name was "Webster." So when I visited Etsy and came across some jewelry made out of old dictionary pages, I promptly e-mailed the designer about making something from the word "tea" for me. As you can see, there was quite a lovely outcome!


Shortly after I wrote to her, Dana Klopfer e-mailed back images of both the 1892 Webster's and another vintage dictionary's entries of the word "tea." I immediately fell in love with the 1892 version, largely because the word "teapot" happens to be featured as well. But lo and behold, Dana had also come across a vintage dictionary illustration of our beloved camellia sinensis, so I wanted that necklace too. To give you an idea of the size, the smaller one's on the back of a Scrabble piece (mine is a Q), the other on a small wooden piece. Both come with silver ball chains, and look how nicely they were packaged!

I know she had at least one "tea" definition left, and it may be possible to get others, although I learned she uses only original dictionary pages and does not copy them. She can do a custom order for just about any word you like, and she also makes similar designs from old maps and atlases, so if there's a city you're partial to, just ask. She also makes magnets, keychains, bracelets and more. I got my items super fast and couldn't be a happier customer. To see more of her designs, visit her Etsy shop here or her blog here.

4 comments:

  1. These are great! I love everything "tea" but this is the most unique item I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - that is soooooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that a lady of words is a Webster! These necklaces are perfect for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!