Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tea & Tupperware


Months ago, I saw this Tupperware tea infuser listed on eBay, but it apparently hadn't made it to the U.S. yet because its "home" was somewhere like Hong Kong, as I recall, and I didn't want to take a chance on ordering from so far away. So imagine my surprise when my friend Deberah just waltzed up to me at work one day recently and handed this to me.

I haven't had a Tupperware lady in years, so I was thrilled that my friend is Tupperware connected enough to have located this infuser for me. It has an interesting design, kind of like those ballpoint pens you don't click but instead rotate the barrel to reveal the pen. On this infuser, you rotate the barrel to open it for filling with tea and then close it. And the infuser will stand up when you're through infusing the tea.

So does it work? Well, I have to confess I'm as surprised as anyone to say ... YES, it does! Now I will test any infuser on the market, but I am accustomed to about 99 percent of them not working worth squat. My tea leaves filtered beautifully with this infuser, and there was nothing but infused tea in my teacup! When you're through, you stand this little baby upright and it doesn't drip. I do not-not-not understand this. I just knew this was going to be a dribbler for sure. So all I can say is, Tupperware rocks!

12 comments:

  1. is it plastic angela? i am so afraid of plastic and boiling hot water. i have read so much about the leaching from plastics at high temperatures in recent times, although i do love the design of it and your description of how well it worked! certainly looks cool! hugs from leslie:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an amazing world out there for tea products! I don't want it though - too constricting for the tea leaves, and the plastic...
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I feel quite safe using the Tupperware infuser, and here's a link to those who wish to see what they say about safety concerns:

    http://tinyurl.com/dcmqd6

    But as always, individuals will have to study the issue for themselves and made an educated choice about whether this is OK for them! ("Please consult your doctor to see if Tupperware is right for you ...")

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew? Wow! Tho I have the same fears about plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like an interesting little gadget - functional and easy to clean. Good for when you want to quickly steep just one cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever of Tupperware to create such a tea infuser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well angela that was a good link at the tupperware sight in regards to the plastic issue. i found a further reference to a good housekeeping article (on the original site) which told some good results from some tupperware things they tested http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-testing/reviews-tests/kitchen-cooking/plastic-safety-heat-food-6.
    as you say, to each her own and we all must make our own choices! i still thank you for posting about it as it is great fun to see all sorts of things on your tea posts! thanks for sharing! big hugs!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked that Good Housekeeping article as well, Leslie! I think pieces like that are very helpful because they help me understand the scientific testing a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh me too angela! it is so easy to get a knee jerk reaction to things what with all the warnings about this and that circling the internet and television/newspaper/magazines too! our world is a crazy place and it is good to be able to just discuss these sort of things with good reliable data to help us learn! thanks again. hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tea and Tupperware just don't quite go together to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well fancy that! Who would have though? You lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Tupperware, love it! Now how about PINK?! LOL

    ReplyDelete