Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A surprise tea gift from Ohio

The kindness of readers I've never even met just continues to amaze me! A few weeks ago, I got an e-mail from Susan in Ohio letting me know she'd found a tea goodie at an antique mall and it was headed my way. I was *thrilled* to open the package and find a bit of teaware I've never even seen before, much less owned, and here it is!

This side view shows you that the base is constructed with two built-in compartments to hold the sugar and cream. How's that for efficient design? I love it!

Here's an overhead view so you can tell more about it. The piece is by a maker I've never heard of before, Royal Elfleda, with design by "Allison LL," and it's marked "Not for Food Use." (I was tempted to have tea out of it anyway because it's so beautiful, but I refrained!)

And I had to get a close-up shot so you can see what may not be apparent in the other photos: these gorgeous butterflies, some in color, some metallic, are flying against a beautiful lacy backdrop that shimmers across the surface of these lovely pieces.

And when I saw that burgundy butterfly wing next to my new teacup African violet with the burgundy leaves, I knew it was a match made in heaven. Can you see why I so treasure this piece from my tea friend in Ohio?

13 comments:

  1. Oooh ! the butterflies are breath taking! The African violet compliments the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A treasure from a Treasure! What a sweet and unique gift --- the butterflies and violets are a reminder that spring that WILL come. (Are you listening, spring?) B-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely tea gift that Susan sent you. I have never seen this type of item before either. It is very pretty with the lacey background and butterflies. It suites your violet perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely gift from your tea friend. I have a set of 4 of these I found at a flea market and the lady that sold them to me said that they are berry servers used for fresh berries with the sides of cream and sugar. I have used them in that fashion and also for serving scones with Devon cream and lemon curd. Love the mini African violets. This gift is the perfect container for showing off your new plants. Enjoy your new treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness! That is the prettiest thing ever! How wonderful to have had it sent to you as a gift no less! And the violet....Perfection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Angela, what a lovely treasure! It just says 'spring,' doesn't it? The butterflies and the violets are a perfect match - wow! Thanks for sharing, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a unique piece and a very nice gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very special and what a lovely, thoughtful gift for a tea lover. I have never seen anything quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful piece. Too bad it's not for food use but I think you found the perfect way to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You lucky gal! That is soooo pretty! And unusual, I don't think I've ever seen something like this before. Hmmmm, I will keep my eye out because I LURVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful gift, I have never seen anything like it before. You are so lucky! The Violet's look wonderful in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The teacup set is pretty and the violet is very pretty. Look at the blooms you can look forward to. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!