Thursday, September 16, 2010

Collecting new tea friends

Phyllis in Michigan, I wish you had been here on Tuesday to see what you have inspired! You see, earlier this year, fellow tea lover Phyllis was kind enough to send me a wonderful new tea-themed devotional book by Diane Graham and Julie Norris, "Woman of God - Moments of Grace," which I wrote about here. Not long afterward I heard from one of the authors, Diane, and since she and Julie would be coming from Missouri to Atlanta, near my town, in September we agreed to get together. And here we are -- Julie's in front and that's yours truly and Diane at back!

Also in the group (and shown at left) were Diane's sister-in-law Phyllis (who serves as the writing team's business manager) and Julie's mother Stella. I cannot *tell* you what a delightful time we had! Diane had asked about meeting at Holly Cottage, my town's now-famous tea room, but since they were visiting on a Tuesday when the tea room is closed we went to another favorite venue, the Jasmine Tea Room at Collector's Corner in Sharpsburg. This isn't a traditional English style tea room and is more of a ladies-who-lunch place with tasty quiches and salads and assorted tea beverages, but it is one of my favorite places to meet up with friends, and the adjoining antique mall is another plus. (I've also joined my friend Maureen (ParTea Lady) there for lunch before, so if any of you care to visit, let me know and I'll meet you there too! I'm collecting friends as well as antiques!)

I am absolutely delighted when I meet with authors who are kind enough to let me pick their brains about their writing -- the product, the process, the whole shebang. I *love* talking to writers! Diane and Julie were sooooo gracious and let me ask every nosy question I had, and they were even kind enough to autograph my tea devotional book that was the gift from Phyllis in Michigan, as well as another copy of their book which I'll be giving away at a local fundraiser this Christmas. I was simply fascinated to learn that Diane has also written a book about her journey through clinical depression called "Whispers from the Pit: The Pathway of My Life." I have known more than a few dear friends who've experienced challenges with depression (they are some of my funnest, funniest friends, interestingly enough!), so I am particularly eager to read about her healing and how she now ministers to others with what she's learned. Diane and Julie are just brimming with ideas for future book projects, and I can guarantee you I'll be on the list to order a copy of everything these tea-loving gals write! All this shared over a cup of tea? It was truly a delightful afternoon! And if you'd like to get in touch with the ladies about their books or perhaps a speaking engagement, e-mail janddtime4tea@yahoo.com.

8 comments:

  1. What fun to see your blog this morning, Angela! I'm so glad you got to meet Diane, Julie and their relatives over tea. Maybe someday they'll make their way to Michigan. I love their devotional book and have given away many copies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog friend connections have been crucial to my transition here in OR, too. It's a true blessing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great, Angela! Who knows, it might make for a great book, 'Tea & Blogging, Making Friends Along the Way...'
    Have a great day, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful day you had. I need to remember these books come Christmas. I think my Mother would enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so fun to meet new friends and enjoy tea and friendship. How fun for you to get to do that. Like Steph said, a true blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading about your "Tea With Friends" adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! I am just seeing this! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!