Friday, July 1, 2011

In search of better tea (and other) photos

I've been working my way through a book that is so helpful, I decided it was worth mentioning here. My fellow tea bloggers, I know, work hard to capture good and creative photos for their tea blogs. But the non-bloggers often like to take good food photos as well, and this book is giving me tips on how to do just that!

I learned of the book, "Plate to Pixel" by Hélène Dujardin, from a free photography newsletter I subscribe to online. In this book, the focus is strictly on food, and the author, a professional food photographer and stylist, addresses such issues as lighting and styling. I strongly prefer to take my photos outdoors in natural light whenever possible, but it's helpful to learn some tricks for working with artificial light when that's all there is!

The book was already a hit with me long before I got to the photo of a mug of tea where Dujardin talks about "styling steam." Who knew steam could be styled! (But it can be, turns out.) On the author's advice I'm also going to get a color wheel to help improve my photography. I have much to learn, but I do want to always strive to make this blog better, and I think this terrific book will help!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this with us! I love photography as much as I love tea, and I will definitely look for this book.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her blog is one of just a couple cooking blogs I read; so I have been anxiously awaiting this book. I haven't ordered it yet, but it is marked on my Amazon wishlist. I read another styling book last winter, but I think this one sounds so much better. I can't wait now to get it. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!