Friday, April 27, 2012

A Marshall Field Afternoon Tea Menu

One of the items that's long been on my tea time "wish list" was a vintage Marshall Field department store Afternoon Tea menu. I recently came across this one online, and though it's undated, it's obviously vintage and it met my requirements aesthetically (because it was so pretty) and financially (because it was quite affordable!).

Would I have chosen the Tea for One (45 cents), the Favorite (70 cents) or the Hostess Tea (one dollar)? Decisions, decisions. All questions of thrift aside, I must say the Assorted Tea Sandwiches and Cream Cheese and Orange Marmalade Balls most appeal to me! (Double-click on the image if you need to see it larger.)

On this page, however, the Minced Tongue and Horseradish Sandwich is definitely *off* my list, I don't care if it was just 30 cents! So if we could travel back in time, what would YOU order here?

11 comments:

  1. I think I would go for the Hostess Tea. I wish they still had this menu. When I was a child, going to the Marshal Fields store in Chicago was an event. There were several dining options and all of them were good. Now that it is Macy's, The Walnut Room is still there, but the other food options are not as good as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this menu!!!! I would go for the tea for one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd probably go with the "Favorite." I should show this to my mom, as she worked while a teen at Marshal Field in Chicago back in the 50s and had tea there with her mother from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a pretty menu from Marshall Field. I'd order the Tea For One. I was reminded that its been a long time since I made Tuna a la King (instead of chicken) in puff pastry shells.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! How fun is that!? I think i would order the 'favorite' and return in a week and order the Hostess Tea! Too cute! That needs to be framed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today I choose "Tea for One", that would leave a little extra cash for a new pair of shoes or a pocket book :)
    It still breaks my heart to see the name Macy's where Marshall Fields should be downtown Chicago on the Magnificent Mile. I remember the first time I went in there and saw the small area downstairs that used to be the tea room years ago. I wish we had a time machine and we could go back and have tea together there. p.s. Finally made sure to order your book this morning and I can't wait to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful! I think I would have the Tea for One!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful find! If I could afford it, I'd surely go for the "Hostess Tea", it sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a GREAT addition to your Department Store memorabilia. I'd choose the Hostess Tea - Chicken a la King.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Angela, what a lovely menu. I'm so glad you were able to find it and thank you for sharing with us.
    All the teas sound devine but the Hostess Tea would be my favorite. Wouldn't it be nice to have a 'Time Machine?' Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!