Friday, May 11, 2012

A curiously gaudy teacup

On my drive from Asheville back to Georgia last week, I saw billboards advertising the Lavonia (Ga.) Antique Mall and decided to make a stop. Boy, was it worth it! This place was a china and glass lover's dream, I'm telling you! Prices were quite reasonable, and I came home with several new goodies, my favorite of which was this unusual pink and gold teacup in a nice large size for sipping tea. It's really quite gaudy, don't you think? Almost reminds me of an exotic animal print. The rim is interesting because it's got all these pointy little places in between the more rounded scallops. I tried to picture who might have chosen this style of teacup, and all I could come up with was a madam in a brothel!

My handle fetish continues, and this one's bamboo-like styling is intriguing.

Also, I don't think I have another teacup with such a highly "footed" saucer. From this angle, you can see the styling a bit better. There are no markings so I have no idea of the age or maker, but for only $6 I knew this hoochie mama of a teacup needed to come home with me!

10 comments:

  1. The tea is hot and so is the cup!
    Love this post. Every tea cup doesn't have to be "cute". I LOVE this cup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Angela you are so funny! I don't know what it says about me, but I love this teacup! What fun coloring and the handle is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it !!!!
    BTW I found 1 lone copy of the Macarons book at T.J.maxx. I am making some for Mothers Day .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this teacup would be one of those handpainted by a "bored housewife." I am quoting my dear Aunt Ida on that description. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your antiquing finds... and your sense of humor! ;-) You were antiquing in a different location, at the same time we were antiquing in Asheville. Just another way we are kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun and unique teacup! Love Aunt Ida's comment via Linda J.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHAHAHA!!

    Brothel? Hootchie Mama?

    I am cracking up, so hilarious!

    it is most unusual - wonder if it was a beginner learning the trade or something?

    Great find, great price, great post.

    Have a most tealightful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I like the abstract art addition to a teacup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha Ha. Enjoy your new tea cup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your post today, Angela - I am still having a good laugh! You have such a great sense of humor. The cup has an 'old' look to it - wonder if it has a 'history' of being in a Miami Beach Cafe or Hotel (20's or 30's?) hmmmnnn, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!