Monday, October 15, 2012

Spiced Apple-Pecan Muffins

I had a Granny Smith apple left over from another recipe, along with a few pecans that needed to be used. And then I realized I haven't "cooked with tea" lately, so that meant it was time to experiment. I used my Nordic Ware pan with the cavities in the shape of maple leaves. The result was this muffin recipe which contains two whole tea bags of Pumpkin Spice tea. I was a little concerned that I might be putting too much tea in the mix, but the end result was just delicious—and a real hit with my husband!

Spiced Apple-Pecan Muffins

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Bigelow Pumpkin Spice tea bags
1 cup granulated sugar
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, diced and chopped fine in food processor
1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup pecans, chopped fine

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, add flours, soda, baking powder, salt and dry contents of the two teabags. Combine well.

In large mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar and apple, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil and egg. Beat by hand until well blended. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and beat until combined. Fold in pecans.

Fill leaf-shaped cavities of baking pan 1/2 full and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched. Yields 18 muffins. (Note: These cavities are smaller than those of regular muffin pans, so this recipe should yield about 12 regular muffins.)

12 comments:

  1. Oh they look so GOOD!

    And I love the basket you have placed them in.

    Oh how I adore the autumn, don't you?

    Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound delish and look so pretty made in maple leaf shapes! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the leaf shape!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The muffins look absolutely delicious and perfect for this time of the year. Love the leaf-shape. Great taste and details - a perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angela,

    Your spiced apple muffins look delicious! Love the leaf shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delish. I might try this with apple and spice tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look delicious and not quite too pretty to eat - yum. I need a maple leaf pan, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so good! Perfect for this time of year - I am going to try out your recipe, thanks! Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!