Monday, December 17, 2012

The Christmas cooking begins

Do you give food gifts at Christmas? I always seem to end up making treats for at least a handful of friends or family, and over the weekend I got started on this year's treats. One of my favorite recipes is the one for these simple Orange Balls. It's easy, it makes a heap of them, and best of all they're delicious!

I found this recipe tucked inside an old cookbook that had belonged to my grandmother, who had apparently cut the recipe out of the old Georgia Farmers and Consumers Market Bulletin.

These refrigerated, bite-sized treats get texture from vanilla wafer crumbs and pecans. The citrus flavor from the frozen orange juice is a nice switch from the heavier sweets you often find at Christmas. And if you don't need to make these as Christmas treats, you might want to try them on a tea tray sometime.

Market Bulletin Orange Balls

1 (16-ounce) box + 1 cup powdered sugar, divided
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 (6-ounce) can frozen orange juice (DO NOT THAW)
1 (12-ounce) box vanilla wafers, crushed in food processor
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine box of powdered sugar, butter, orange juice, vanilla wafers and pecans. Mixture will be very stiff. Roll into balls about the size of a large gumball and roll in reserved powdered sugar. Store in refrigerator. Yields about 5 dozen Orange Balls.


14 comments:

  1. Yum! These sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound really good! Yes, let the Christmas baking begin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy to make and sound yummy. I've done very little baking this year but may still do some cookies.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. How special to be able to make a recipe that was your grandmother's. It sounds quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! My niece keeps asking when we are going to make Christmas cookies... guess that's next on the agenda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!!! Thanks for sharing these with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummm! And other than the time to roll into balls, sounds simple and quick. Just my kind of recipe. Love those old recipes. What a treat for you to have found.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh YUM!!! That is the perfect tea cookie!

    Thanks, Angela- I am definately printing and saving that recipe for the future, but my baking is finally all done as of this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I haven't had those in years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have made these - years ago - and they are so good. Yes, they would be great on a tea tray. Thanks for reminding me of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have made these - years ago - and they are so good. Yes, they would be great on a tea tray. Thanks for reminding me of them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make the same cookie and use graham crackers!! Always a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Angela, these look delicious! I think it's neat that the recipe came from your grandmother. Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!