Friday, October 10, 2014

A gift of teatime inspiration!

It's been a crazy busy week at my house, so I was more than ready to relax a little and thus overjoyed when a particular package landed in my mailbox. Reader Kris very generously offered to send me her issue of Daphne's Diary Magazine Number 2 from 2014, which I had been unable to find. I'm such a fan of this magazine that I knew I'd like whatever was inside, but I didn't realize how many surprises I had in store!

The magazine always features travel, and this time there's a beautiful feature on Ireland including this place, Castlewood House, where "there is always tea ready for anyone who would like some." Looking at both the house and the tea set, I can assure you I would like some!

And I absolutely LOVED the spread on pages 56 and 57 in which "Daphne" shares pictures she got by asking her Facebook friends to post a photograph of their cup of tea. Now isn't that a fun idea? I may have to steal this one and try it here on the blog one day! (Wouldn't it be fun to see what everyone was drinking at a certain day and time?)

Artists are regularly profiled in Daphne's Diary as well, and the work of one of the best ones yet is pictured here. Su Blackwell creates paper sculptures from the pages of vintage books, and in this spread you can see at lower right her "A Mad Tea Party" sculpture from 2007. I was so intrigued I had to look up more about the artist online, and this Daily Mail article features "A Mad Tea Party" and even more of her work. I think I may have to go create something this weekend! (Thanks again for the wonderful inspiration, Kris!)

9 comments:

  1. How nice of Kris to send to you! I would enjoy sitting with a cup of coffee and those beautiful magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun magazine! Love the double page spread with the wide variety of tea cups. Really have to be on the lookout for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! What a fun idea about the reader photos. Today mine would show a lovely cup of Assam, but it is in my Tervis tumbler so it won't get cold when I get caught up in what I'm working on, and with a lid so if I knock it over it won't kill my computer! Not "traditional" but it works for me. :-) (and tastes wonderful!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be glad to send you a photo of my tea. I an having Celestial Seasonings Honey Vanilla Chamomile as I type this message.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great idea! We will probably see a beautiful variety of pretty teacups too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would absolutely love this magazine and what a great idea to share a picture of the teacup and tea on a particular day. But that paper art work makes my heart go pitter patter, it is amazing!!!! I would love seeing in person so much. I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen these magazines in stores before, and the illustrations remind me of Dutch artist Marjolein Bastin. Maybe she is a contributor, as the original Daphne s Diary magazine is from the Netherlands, too.
    And I am looking forward to sharing teacup photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice of Kris to share the magazine that brings you so much joy and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That does look like a lovely magazine. I also like the idea for pages 56 and 57 - that would be fun to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!