Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Christmas in March!

Last week I got to meet with a friend I haven't seen since Christmas, and she gave me several belated (and much appreciated) Christmas gifts, including this cute tin of Alice in Wonderland Tea from Adagio!

I'd not heard of this herbal blend, but I loved the scent and sight that greeted me when I opened the tin!

This tea contains green rooibos, apple pieces, raspberry leaves, raspberries, strawberries, natural strawberry flavor, natural creme flavor, blue cornflowers, and rose petals. I loved the taste, which had only the merest hint of the rose and tasted mostly like a nice, lightly fruit-flavored rooibos. (And isn't it lovely?)

I had some to accompany my afternoon snack of what is just about my favorite sweet in the world, that super easy toffee you make with saltines!

I assume all of you have made this about a million times, but here's the recipe just in case someone has not.

Easy Toffee

20 saltines
1 stick butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Pecans or other nuts, as desired


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and arrange saltines in four rows of five crackers each. Fold foil tightly around edges of saltines to create a "rim" to the foil. Melt butter and brown sugar in microwave and combine well. Pour mixture over saltines, bake for five minutes, and remove pan from oven. Sprinkle chocolate chips over hot saltines and allow to soften for about two minutes, then spread chocolate evenly over saltines. Add pecans and let the toffee cool in refrigerator for an hour or two before serving. Break into pieces and try not to scarf it down in one sitting! (This, by the way, is the half-size recipe, which is all I will let myself make because this stuff is crazy good. People sometimes make this at the holidays and call it "Christmas Crack," and there's a good reason for that!)

9 comments:

  1. I keep forgetting to try this recipe, so thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this recipe at Christmas, too -- it never lasts long!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar recipe but I switch out the saltines for cinnamon graham crackers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, Sarah! I will have to try your variation!

      Delete
  4. Both the tea and the toffee look and sound delicious! And that tin is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gift. Enjoy!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely tea.
    My family makes a similar toffee recipe except we use graham crackers instead of saltines. I'll have to try your version sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I have seen this recipe before, but I haven't made it yet. It does sounds delicious. And that tea would be a perfect one to have for my non-drinking caffeine family. My grandson would love it. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tea looks sensational, and what an attractive tin! The tea bags are very similar to one that I like very much...Higgins and Burke. You have a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!